Carbon Monoxide Poisoning due to Gas Water Heater

Authors

  • Bidesh Bista Civil service hospital, Min Bhawan, Kathmandu
  • Dhiraj Manandhar Nepal Medical College, Jorpati, Kathmandu
  • Rupesh Mishra Civil service hospital, Min Bhawan, Kathmandu
  • Pradeep Shrestha Civil service hospital, Min Bhawan, Kathmandu
  • Alok Dhungel Civil service hospital, Min Bhawan, Kathmandu

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.3126/jmcjms.v5i2.19019

Keywords:

Carbon Monoxide, Gas, Heater, Water

Abstract

Background and Objectives: Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning is a leading cause of injury and death due to poisoning in many parts of the world. Among numerous sources of CO, the gas water heater can be a potential under looked source causing an accidental Carbon monoxide poisoning. In the perspective of Kathmandu valley, where there are houses with small bathrooms, inadequate ventilation and absent CO detectors, gas water heaters can be extremely dangerous even if it liberates small amount of CO gas. Herein, we present a case of CO poisoning to increase awareness about the gas water heater use and the possible risk of CO poisoning in our community.

Presentation of Case: A 34 years old healthy female from Patan, presented with the history of loss of consciousness for 15 minute while taking bath on a gas water heater. There was no spontaneous respiration, no cardiac activity and her body temperature was below normal.

Discussion: CO is toxic to all aerobic forms to life. CO binds to hemoglobin 230 times faster than oxygen causing cellular hypoxic damage and death. CO poisoning is not uncommon in our society and many such cases are misdiagnosed for some other illness.

Conclusion: Use of the gas water heaters and likelihood of CO poisoning should be notified as a public concern. People need to be aware of these hazards to prevent fatal events and likely death due to exploitation of gas water heaters. 

Janaki Medical College Journal of Medical Sciences (2017) Vol. 5(2): 56-59

 

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
1716
PDF
920

Author Biographies

Bidesh Bista, Civil service hospital, Min Bhawan, Kathmandu

Medicine

Dhiraj Manandhar, Nepal Medical College, Jorpati, Kathmandu

Medicine

Rupesh Mishra, Civil service hospital, Min Bhawan, Kathmandu

Medicine

Pradeep Shrestha, Civil service hospital, Min Bhawan, Kathmandu

Medicine

Alok Dhungel, Civil service hospital, Min Bhawan, Kathmandu

Medicine

Downloads

Published

2018-01-16

How to Cite

Bista, B., Manandhar, D., Mishra, R., Shrestha, P., & Dhungel, A. (2018). Carbon Monoxide Poisoning due to Gas Water Heater. Janaki Medical College Journal of Medical Science, 5(2), 56–59. https://doi.org/10.3126/jmcjms.v5i2.19019

Issue

Section

Case Report