Profile of Alcohol-Dependent Patients Admitted in De-addiction Ward of Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital (TUTH), Kathmandu

Authors

  • Saraswati Dhungana Department of Psychiatry & Mental Health, TUTH, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
  • Saroj Prasad Ojha Department of Psychiatry & Mental Health, TUTH, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
  • Manisha Chapagain Department of Psychiatry & Mental Health, TUTH, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
  • Pratikchya Talachan Department of Psychiatry & Mental Health, TUTH, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
  • Sagun Ballav Pant Department of Psychiatry & Mental Health, TUTH, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
  • Anurag Mishra Department of Psychiatry, Grande International Hospital, Kathmandu

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.3126/jpan.v6i1.21771

Keywords:

Alcohol Dependence, Profile, Nepal

Abstract

Introduction: Alcohol dependence is a global problem worldwide and the global burden of disease study published in 2010 concluded alcohol use to be the third leading risk factor for death and disability. This study was conducted to find out the diagnostic profile, socio- cultural determinants, motivation level and other related variables in patients diagnosed as alcohol dependence in hospital admitted patients.

Material and Method: This was a cross- sectional study carried out in patients diagnosed as alcohol dependence and admitted in the deaddiction ward of Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital over a period of eight months. SPSS version 18 was used for the statistical analysis of the data obtained.

Results: A total of 86 patients were admitted during the period of 8 months. Among those, 48% were admitted with the diagnosis of alcohol dependence- complicated withdrawal while remaining 52% were admitted with alcohol dependence- uncomplicated withdrawal. Assessment of motivation revealed that majority of the patients i.e.43% were in precontemplation phase, 27.9% were in the contemplation phase, 9.3% were in preparation phase, and 19.8% were ready to take action for remaining abstinent. Sociodemographic variables were not statistically significant except for family type where more than 70% of patients with complicated withdrawal belonged to nuclear family when compared to uncomplicated withdrawal.

Conclusion: In this study, we assessed the overall profile of patients admitted with alcohol dependence syndrome in a tertiary care hospital so that this data can be used for better management of our patients.

J Psychiatrists’ Association of Nepal Vol .6(1), 2017, p.38-43

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
611
PDF
328

Author Biographies

Saraswati Dhungana, Department of Psychiatry & Mental Health, TUTH, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu

Lecturer

Saroj Prasad Ojha, Department of Psychiatry & Mental Health, TUTH, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu

Professor & Head

Manisha Chapagain, Department of Psychiatry & Mental Health, TUTH, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu

Associate Professor

Pratikchya Talachan, Department of Psychiatry & Mental Health, TUTH, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu

Associate Professor

Sagun Ballav Pant, Department of Psychiatry & Mental Health, TUTH, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu

Lecturer

Anurag Mishra, Department of Psychiatry, Grande International Hospital, Kathmandu

Consultant

Downloads

Published

2018-11-20

How to Cite

Dhungana, S., Ojha, S. P., Chapagain, M., Talachan, P., Pant, S. B., & Mishra, A. (2018). Profile of Alcohol-Dependent Patients Admitted in De-addiction Ward of Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital (TUTH), Kathmandu. Journal of Psychiatrists’ Association of Nepal, 6(1), 38–43. https://doi.org/10.3126/jpan.v6i1.21771

Issue

Section

Original Articles