Rapid diagnosis of neonatal sepsis in Pediatric population in tertiary care hospital, Durg
Keywords:Bacteraemia, Blood cultures, Rapid diagnostic test & CCMMCH, Durg.
Background: In under developing country Septicemia in infants to be of common occurrence with high morbidity & mortality.
Aims and Objectives: Detection of rapid method for diagnosis of sepsis in paediatric age groups.
Materials and Methods : Clinically suspected 369 cases of Bacteraemia in neonates, infants & children admitted as inpatients at CCM Medical College & Hospital, Durg & 45 healthy children as control were included in the present study. The cases were investigated by blood culture & 5 rapid tests Viz total leucocyte count (TLC), immature to total neutrophil ( I:T) ratio, C – reactive protein (CRP), ESR & Grams smears of Buffy coat for organisms.
Results : Blood cultures were positive in 171 (46.34%) of 369 cases and negative organisms was 55.55% as against 44.44% of Gram positive bacteria. The most common isolates were Staph epidermides (24.56%) and Staph aureus (16.37%) with overall staphylococcal prevalence of 40.93% followed by gram negative bacteria, S.typhi (14.61%) E.coli 11.11% & Ps.auroginosa 10.52%.
Conclusion : The rapid tests were evaluated in blood culture positive & negative cases CRP yielded maximum sensitivity of 70.76%, Specificity of 76.26% & positive predictive accuracy of 72.02%. Combination of 2 tests did not reveal any significant advantage over single CRP test.
Asian Journal of Medical Sciences Vol. 7(3) 2016 94-96
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The journal holds copyright and publishes the work under a Creative Commons CC-BY-NC license that permits use, distribution and reprduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes. The journal should be recognised as the original publisher of this work.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).