Prevalence of β-Lactamase Production among Pathogenic Bacteria Isolated from Surgical Site and Wound Infection amoung Patients Admitted in some selected Hospitals in Sokoto Metropolis, Nigeria
Keywords:?-lactamase, Prevalence, UDUTH, S.H.S, MAWCH
Antimicrobial resistance among pathogenic bacteria is increasing worldwide especially against ß-lactam drugs, due to the production of ß-lactamase enzymes which destroy the ß-lactam ring of these antibiotics, thus preventing the action of penicillin binding proteins (PBPs). The prevalence of β-lactamase producing bacteria among patients admitted in three different hospitals were carried out in this study. The results of this study shows that out of one hundred and fifty one isolates obtained in three different hospitals in Sokoto metropolis, only 82 (54.0%) were resistant to the antibiotics tested. These include 42 (51.2%) were isolated in Usmanu Danfodiyo Teaching Hospital (UDUT), 26 (31.7%) were isolated from Specialist Hospital Sokoto (S.H.S) and 14 (17.1%) were isolated from Maryam Abatcha Women and Children Hospital (MAWCH) which has the least number of occurrence of the resistant isolates. β-lactamase test was carried out on the resistant isolates show s that out of the 82 isolates found resistant to the antibiotics tested, about 60 (73.2%) were β- lactamase positive and the remaining 22 (26.8%) were β-lactamase negative. Staphylococcus aureus has the highest resistant bacteria producing β-lactamase enzyme with 22 isolates, followed by Proteus mirabilis with 10 isolates.
International Journal of Environment Vol.3(3) 2014: 89-112
How to Cite
The author(s) acknowledge that the manuscript submitted is his/her/their own original work; all authors participated in the work in a substantive way and are prepared to take public responsibility for the work; all authors have seen and approved the manuscript as submitted; the manuscript has not been published and is not being submitted or considered for publication elsewhere; the text, illustrations, and any other materials included in the manuscript do not infringe(plagiarism) upon any existing copyright or other rights of anyone.
Notwithstanding the above, the Contributor(s) or, if applicable the Contributor’s Employer, retain(s) all proprietary rights other than copyright, such as Patent rights; to use, free of charge, all parts of this article for the author’s future works in books, lectures, classroom teaching or oral presentations; the right to reproduce the article for their own purposes provided the copies are not offered for sale.
The copyright to the contribution identified is transferred to IJE.