Perinatal Outcome of Deliveries after One Previous Caesarean Section: A Prospective Study from Mid-west hilly Nepal
Keywords:cesarean section, postpartum, repeat, trial of labor, vaginal birth
Introduction: Contrary to the WHO recommended caesarean section (CS) rate of 15%, there is an alarming trend of increasing caesarean section rates. An important reason for this is repeat caesarean section (RCS). Vaginal birth after caesarean (VBAC) is one of the methods of reducing CS rates in women with history of previous CS. This study was done with the aim to see the maternal and fetal outcome among parturient with history of single previous caesarean section and to determine the rate of VBAC at Lumbini Medical College, Nepal.
Methods: This is a prospective study done for a period of ten months. Seventy parturient fulfilling inclusion criteria of term pregnancy with single live fetus and history of one Lower Segment Caesarean Section (LSCS) were enrolled in the study. Patients meeting the criteria for VBAC were given trial of labour and others were taken for elective repeat CS. This cohort was analyzed further, with respect to age, parity, period of gestation, mode of delivery, indication for CS, maternal and fetal complications and outcomes.
Results: VBAC was successful in 27.14% of patients (n=19) while the rest 51 (72.85%) underwent RCS . Indications for RCS was mainly scar tenderness 7 (13.7%), fetal distress 6 (11.7%), non progress of labour 6 (11.7%), meconium stained liquor 6 (11.7%) and post-dated pregnancy 6 (11.7%). Maternal morbidity was comparable in women undergoing RCS or VBAC. There was one still birth and one early neonatal death in each group due to complications of meconium aspiration.
Conclusion: Patients with previous CS are at high risk of RCS. If trial of labor is allowed under careful patient selection and supervision, the rate of vaginal delivery after caesarean section can be increased safely. As there is no added perinatal morbidity and mortality in cases of VBAC as compared to RCS, VBAC shows the right way forward to decrease the rate of caesarean section.
How to Cite
LicenseThe Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) publishes open access articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution(CC BY) License which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
JLMC requires an exclusive licence allowing to publish the article in print and online.
The corresponding author should read and agree to the following statement before submission of the manuscript for publication,
In submitting an article to Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JLMC are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
Please visit Creative Commons web page for details of the terms.