Perceived Fear and Preventive Behaviors of Pregnant Women during COVID-19 Pandemic in Western Nepal
Keywords:COVID-19, Pregnant woman, Preventive measures
INTRODUCTION: The perceived fear of COVID-19 is expected to have a significant positive impact on preventive behaviors as it triggers people to prevent themselves against threats. People take necessary actions to engage in preventive behaviors if they perceive high fear of transmission of disease.
MATERIAL AND METHODS: Cross-sectional analytical study was conducted to find out the perceived fear and preventive behaviors of pregnant women during COVID-19 pandemic. One hundred and fifty normal pregnant women attending Antenatal Checkup (ANC) out-patient department and ward of Universal College of Medical Sciences Teaching Hospital (UCMSTH), Rupandehi were selected by using purposive sampling technique. Structured interview schedule was used for data collection. Descriptive statistics and inferential statistics were used for analysis with Statistical Package for Social Science (SPSS) software version 16.
RESULTS: The study findings revealed that more than half of the respondents had high level of fear regarding COVID-19. Although participants were largely engaged in all preventive behaviors like wearing facemask, hand washing, covering nose and mouth, cleaning and disinfecting and maintaining healthy diet, while maintaining social distance, avoiding public transport, avoiding crowd, exercising regularly and quitting tobacco and alcohol were the least. There was positive correlation between perceived fear and preventive behaviors although it was not proved significantly.
CONCLUSION: The study findings concluded that more than half of the respondents had high level of fear regarding COVID-19. Adequate counseling and reassurance of these pregnant women in the current scenario might reduce their fears and increase the probability of adapting preventive measures against the spread of COVID-19.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Journal of Universal College of Medical Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors have to give the following undertakings along with their article:
- I/we declare that this article is original and has not been submitted to another journal for publication.
- I/we declare that I/we surrender all the rights to the editor of the journal and if published will be the property of the journal and we will not publish it anywhere else, in full or part, without the permission of the Chief Editor.
- Institutional ethical and research committee clearance certificate from the institution where work/research was done, is required to be submitted.
- Articles in the Journal are Open Access articles published under the Creative Commons CC BY-NC License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/)
- This license permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, and it is not used for commercial purposes.