Evaluation of anti-diabetic activity of Justicia adhatoda (Linn.) Leaves in diabetic wistar rats
Keywords:Justicia adhaotda, Anti-diabetic, Alloxan, Glimepiride, Methanolic extract
Diabetes mellitus is deﬁned as the increase in blood glucose level resulting from defects in insulin secretion, insulin action, or both. The present study was conducted to evaluate anti-diabetic activity of Justicia adhatoda (Linn.) leaves extract in diabetic Wistar rats. Justicia adhatoda, commonly known as vasaka is rich in phytochemicals like alkaloids, saponins, steroids, ﬂavonoids and glycosides. It is used in asthma, jaundice, wound healing, typhus fever, cough, chronic bronchitis and inﬂamma- tory swellings treatment.
MATERIAL AND METHODS
The extract was obtained by maceration process with the use of methanol as solvent. 30 Wistar rats of 150-250 gm were used taken as study animal. Diabetes was induced by single intraperitoneal injection of Alloxan 150 mg/kg body weight. The methan- olic extract of low dose (50 mg/kg) and high dose (100 mg/kg) were given orally for anti-diabetic activity. The standard drug glimepiride 0.5 mg/kg body weight was used.
The extract treated 50mg/kg and 100mg/kg showed signiﬁcant p<0.01 reduction in blood glucose level while the standard 0.5 mg/kg showed less signiﬁcant p<0.05. The standard and extract showed less signiﬁcant p<0.05 body weight recovery in compar- ison to negative control group. The extract 50 mg/kg, 100 mg/kg and standard showed signiﬁcant p<0.01 improvement in food intake when compared to negative control group. The extract 100 mg/kg treatment showed signiﬁcant p<0.01, highly signiﬁcant p<0.001 improvement in water intake on 1st, 2nd and 3rd week respectively when compared to negative control group.
The present study concludes that the extract possesses potent and signiﬁcant anti-diabetic activity of Justicia adhatoda leaves.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Journal of Universal College of Medical Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors have to give the following undertakings along with their article:
- I/we declare that this article is original and has not been submitted to another journal for publication.
- I/we declare that I/we surrender all the rights to the editor of the journal and if published will be the property of the journal and we will not publish it anywhere else, in full or part, without the permission of the Chief Editor.
- Institutional ethical and research committee clearance certificate from the institution where work/research was done, is required to be submitted.
- Articles in the Journal are Open Access articles published under the Creative Commons CC BY-NC License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/)
- This license permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, and it is not used for commercial purposes.