Anatomy and Variants of Hepatic Arteries in 120 Patients Studied with 128 Slice Volumetric Scan in Nepalese Population

Authors

  • Bigyan Paudel Chitwan Medical College
  • Deepak Adhikari Chitwan Medical College
  • Yuv Raj Raut Chitwan Medical College
  • Sudil Paudyal Chitwan Medical College

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.3126/njr.v12i2.54596

Keywords:

Hepatic Artery Diameter, Hepatic Artery Length, Hepatic Artery Variants

Abstract

Introduction: Modern advances in radiology, imaging, and novel surgical methods have greatly aided doctors in making both surgical and non-surgical decisions. During surgery, anatomical variances are frequently encountered by surgeons, making operation complex and occasionally challenging. The purpose of our study was to evaluate the hepatic artery and its variants, including the length and diameter of the right and left hepatic arteries. This information is vital for patients undergoing major hepatic surgeries and hepatic transplantation

Methods: A total of 120 patients who underwent contrast-enhanced Triphasic CT of the abdomen were evaluated with the consent of the ethics committee at Chitwan medical college. Study subjects were selected on a random basis, who had no previous abdominal or hepatic surgeries, and without the known hepatic disease.

Results: Out of 120 participants, 63 (52.5%) were male and the rest 57(47.5 %) were females. Normal anatomy was observed in 104 cases (86.7%) and the rest of the 16 cases showed an anomalous hepatic arterial pattern, which consisted of Michel’s type III in 6 cases (5%), Type IV in 1 case (0.8%) and Type X in 3 cases (2.5%); and 5 cases (4.2%). did not fall under Michel’s Classification. Supply to segment IV of the liver was observed from Left hepatic artery in 97 cases (80.8%) and from the right hepatic artery in 23 cases (19.2%).

Conclusions: Many hepatic arterial variants which did not fall under Michel’s classification were observed in our population.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
31
pdf
64

Author Biographies

Bigyan Paudel, Chitwan Medical College

Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology and Imaging

Deepak Adhikari, Chitwan Medical College

Associate Professor, Department of Radiology and Imaging

Yuv Raj Raut, Chitwan Medical College

Resident, Department of Radiology and Diagnosis

Sudil Paudyal, Chitwan Medical College

Lecturer of Medical Imaging, Department of Radiology and Imaging

Downloads

Published

2022-12-31

How to Cite

Paudel, B., Adhikari, D., Raut, Y. R., & Paudyal, S. (2022). Anatomy and Variants of Hepatic Arteries in 120 Patients Studied with 128 Slice Volumetric Scan in Nepalese Population. Nepalese Journal of Radiology, 12(2), 27–32. https://doi.org/10.3126/njr.v12i2.54596

Issue

Section

Original Articles