Supply Chain Analysis of Rice (Oryza sativa. L.) Sub-Sector in Kanchanpur District, Nepal

  • Sandeep Airee Agriculture and Forestry University
  • Bishnu Raj Ojha
  • Ankit Ojha
  • Asmita Bhandari
Keywords: Market margin, Supply chain, wholesalers, Co-operatives, B: C ratio

Abstract

Rice shares about 20% of the agriculture gross domestic product (AGDP) and nearly 50% of the total calorie requirements of Nepalese people. The study was conducted to assess the different supply chain actors involved in the rice subsector in Kanchanpur district during April- August 2020. Pre-tested semi-structured questionnaires were used to collect the information by selecting 110 respondents including 75 rice producers, 10 agro-vet, 5 millers, 5 wholesalers, and 15 retailers. Statistical Package for Social Science (SPSS) and Microsoft Excel was used for data analysis. The findings revealed that there was a dominance of males (62%) over females (38%). The mean allocated area and productivity were 0.99 ha and 4.26 Mt/ha respectively. Cooperatives (33.33%) hold a major possession in the case of seed producers whereas their own seed (40.6%) and agro-vet (35.7%) hold a major source of seed in the case of grain producers for home consumption and marketed surplus. The average B: C ratio of the paddy growers was found to be 1.40 in the study area. The market margin and producer's share was higher in seeds supply chain NRs 29 per kg and 47.2% as compared to the grain supply chain as NRs 27 per kg and 46% respectively. About 77% of the paddy growers preferred to sell their produce to house and the remaining 23% sold to market. This research reflects the production constraints along with the establishment of an effective supply chain to assure the reliability of supply at an economic price.

Int. J. Soc. Sc. Manage. Vol. 7, Issue-4: 224-233

Abstract
0
pdf
0
Published
2020-10-29
How to Cite
Airee, S., Ojha, B., Ojha, A., & Bhandari, A. (2020). Supply Chain Analysis of Rice (Oryza sativa. L.) Sub-Sector in Kanchanpur District, Nepal. International Journal of Social Sciences and Management, 7(4), 224-233. https://doi.org/10.3126/ijssm.v7i4.31124
Section
Research Articles