Hand Index - A Forensic Tool for Sexual Dimorphism
Keywords:Anthropometry, Hand Index, Sex Determination
Introduction: Amongst the various parameters of identification, sex is one of the most important elements. Figuring out hand index from measurement of hand dimensions is a convenient way to determine sexual dimorphism. This study aims to find out sexual dimorphism from hand dimensions, obtain cut off points for male and female and check percentage accuracy of sex determination from hand dimensions in Nepalese population.
Methods: The data was collected from 400 asymptomatic, healthy working staff (229 males and 171 females) above 23 years in the department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology of a tertiary care center of Western Nepal. Measurements of hand length and hand breadth were taken using standard instruments and hand index was calculated therefrom.
Results: The mean (±SD) right hand lengths for male and female were found to be 17.87 cm (±0.87) and 16.93cm (±0.58) respectively. The mean (±SD) left hand lengths for male and female were 17.85 cm (±0.86) and 16.97 cm (±0.56) respectively. The average hand breadth for male was 1.00 cm greater for right hand and 0.96 cm greater for left hand as compared to female hand breadth. Differences in length and breadth of hands for both sexes were statistically significant (p<0.001) with no statistically significant difference of hand dimensions in the same sex. Cut off point for right hand index was found to be 42.32 cm and for left hand, 42.30 cm.
Conclusion: Hand dimensions and hand index can be reliably used to determine sex in medicolegal cases, especially where isolated hand is obtained.
How to Cite
LicenseThe Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) publishes open access articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution(CC BY) License which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
JLMC requires an exclusive licence allowing to publish the article in print and online.
The corresponding author should read and agree to the following statement before submission of the manuscript for publication,
In submitting an article to Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JLMC are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
Please visit Creative Commons web page for details of the terms.