Prevalence and Pattern of Rheumatic Heart Disease among Reproductive Age Group Female
Keywords:Echocardiography, Mitral valve, Rheumatic heart disease
Rheumatic heart disease (RHD) remains a major public health problem in developing countries. In low income countries RHD accounts for approximately 90% of all cardiovascular disease among pregnant women. This study aims to evaluate the prevalence and pattern of RHD among reproductive age group women presenting to a tertiary care teaching hospital in Central Nepal.
MATERIAL AND METHODS
Prospective observational study was carried out in College of Medical Sciences Teaching Hospital, Bharatpur, Nepal from January 2019 to December 2019 by doing transthoracic echocardiography (TTE) of reproductive age group females (n=800) from 15 years to 45 years of age. The data were collected in pre-structured proforma.
Out of 800 patients, RHD was present in 46 (5.75%) patients. The incidence of RHD was found to be highest in the age group of 30-35 years 13 (28.3%) and the mean age of presentation was 29.24 years. Mitral valve was the most common valve involvement and mitral regurgitation 37 (80.4%) was the most common valvular dysfunction present in patients with RHD.
The prevalence of RHD among reproductive age group female is high and mitral valve is the most commonly affected valve.
How to Cite
Authors have to give the following undertakings along with their article:
- I/we declare that this article is original and has not been submitted to another journal for publication.
- I/we declare that I/we surrender all the rights to the editor of the journal and if published will be the property of the journal and we will not publish it anywhere else, in full or part, without the permission of the Chief Editor.
- Institutional ethical and research committee clearance certificate from the institution where work/research was done, is required to be submitted.
- Articles in the Journal are Open Access articles published under the Creative Commons CC BY-NC License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/)
- This license permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, and it is not used for commercial purposes.