Dietary Modification and Life Style Changes due to COVID-19 Pandemic Homestay among Nursing Students of Pokhara: Descriptive Cross-Sectional Study
Keywords:COVID-19, Dietary modification, Homestay, Lifestyle
INTRODUCTION: In December 2019, new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2) emerged in Wuhan, China causing pandemic all over the world which results in homestay order. Homestay lead to changes in lifestyle like sedentary life, sleeping habits and eating behavior. So, the objective is to assess dietary and life style modification among nursing students of Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal.
MATERIAL AND METHODS: A descriptive cross-sectional online survey was conducted from August 1 to October 15, 2020. The setting of study (Manipal) was selected purposively in which enumerative sampling technique was used constituting total sample size of 216 nursing students. Data was collected through self-administer semi-structure questionnaire via online mode which was further analyzed using descriptive statistics SPSS 20.0 version.
RESULTS: There was slight modification in intake of food items like fruits, vegetable, protein, fats, commercialized items, carbonated/sweetened beverages and non-vegetarian diets (chicken and fish). During COVID-19, less than one-fifth (15%) wake up before 7 AM and 78.2% sleep duration is 7-9 hours. About 64.1% pass their leisure time watching TV/ facebook/ messenger/ youtube/ whatsapp/ instagram. Nearly 99.1% engaged in household activities during home stay. More than three-fourth (77.8%) of respondents were doing physical activity. But still 69.9% had weight gain.
CONCLUSION: Despite physical and household activities, some unhealthy practices like waking up late, increased sleep duration and use of screen was observed. There was less modification in dietary pattern. So it is recommended to follow healthy diet like Mediterranean diet having several health benefits like weight reduction, prevention from non-communicable diseases and boost immune system in period of pandemic.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Journal of Universal College of Medical Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors have to give the following undertakings along with their article:
- I/we declare that this article is original and has not been submitted to another journal for publication.
- I/we declare that I/we surrender all the rights to the editor of the journal and if published will be the property of the journal and we will not publish it anywhere else, in full or part, without the permission of the Chief Editor.
- Institutional ethical and research committee clearance certificate from the institution where work/research was done, is required to be submitted.
- Articles in the Journal are Open Access articles published under the Creative Commons CC BY-NC License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/)
- This license permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, and it is not used for commercial purposes.